Sunday, March 14, 2010

30's one day & 60's the next.

The Easter Market... just a huge long road full of vendors, selling everything from clothes, shoes, purses, socks & underwear, bath accessories, to food.



I really wanted to buy one!

Me & Brittany just soaking up the sun! :)

Saturday- Emily and I woke up early to meet her parents at the Uffizi at 7:45 even though the museum does not open until 8:15 because there is always a huge line and they only allow a certain number of people into the museum at one time. So, we got there just in time to wait in line for a half hour and made it into the first group allowed into the museum. The Uffizi is an art gallery which houses collections of Gothic, Early Renaissance, High Renaissance and Mannerist art, and other Florentine work. I do not know a lot about art but it was really cool to see all the artwork and building itself is amazing too, it actually used to be offices for the Medici family.

After we left the Uffizi, we still had about another hour and half until brunch at Ganzo, so we walked around the city with her parents, mind you the temperature was only in the 30s so it was quite cold. We then treated her mom, dad, and sister to brunch at Ganzo and I am pretty sure everyone enjoyed it. We then made our way over the Mercato Centrale (the freshest market) where we bought some ingredients for dinner. (Her sister made us Risotto with Asparagus which was delicious). Our friend (Chris) was now due to arrive in Florence around 2pm but we got a call around 1:30 that they had lost his luggage and while he was trying to look for it, he missed his connecting flight to Frankfurt. They offered him another flight to Munich but really that did him no good because he was still in Germany and the next flight to Florence was not for another 4 hours or so which meant that he would not arrive in Florence until 9pm. Regardless, he was coming with his other friend (Casey) but she was on another flight that arrived on time in Florence at 12 noon. However, she had no phone, nor our phone numbers, or our address. So, she sat in the airport for 6 hours... waiting and waiting for Christ to arrive but every plane landed and he was nowhere to be found on any of the flights. LESSON LEARNED: When traveling, make sure you have ALL IMPORTANT INFORMATION with you so as to not be sitting in an airport for 6 hours. She finally checked into a hotel and was able to get on the computer to talk to her sister. In the meantime, we had white paged her mother and were able to contact her and tell her that we had yet to see her daughter and finally... 8 hours after she landed, she finally arrived via taxi to our apartment. Chris, on the other hand was savvy and took a bus from the airport to the train station (we live near the train station) so I went and met him at 9 when he finally arrived. It was a very long and stressful day but they finally made it. They were supposed to come out with us but had not slept in over 40 hours, so they decided to sleep while Emily and I ventured out for some night life. We ended up at Amadeus (our favorite bar) and then also went to Twenty One (a club that we had been to the first few nights we were here but never went back to because it was so crowded, but it was really fun this time and a lot less crowded!)

Sunday-
(The pictures from above). I woke up and met Brittany for a city walk (The school organizes walks to new parts of the city about once a week). This week the walk was to the Easter Market which was located west of my apartment in this awesome park that I never knew existed. The market was only there for a few days I believe but basically what it is, is a long street just full of vendors selling everything from clothes, socks & underwear, bathroom accessories, shoes, belts, and food. There was also like a mini carnival too with some rides. The market was awesome though, but I am glad that I only brought 30 euro with me because if I had brought more, I definitely would have spent more. Regardless, it was a successful day, I bought two new cute tank tops, two belts, and even a hot dog for lunch. (I know I should not be eating hot dogs in Italy but it was the best hot dog ever). The hot dog is cut in half and grilled and placed on a bulky roll with lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, onions, mayo, and ketchup. I was not going to get it but the vendor man who was making them, called me over and I had seen some other people with them, so I just had to have one. The market was amazing, but the walk to the market was the best part. You walk along the river and then it leads you to this huge park and running trails which run along the river. It was a gorgeous day and there were people everywhere biking, walking, running, rollerblading, and just sitting in the grass soaking up the sun. I definitely know I will be going there again to run along the river. Brittany and I made a stop for gelato before I headed back to my apartment for a much needed nap! I napped for a couple hours and then forced myself to study because midterms are this week.... eeeeeek! I seriously think I forgot how to study. I am hoping for the best though, I will let you know how I do. Study abroad used to be pass/ fail but Endicott now requires for our grades to transfer so I am really hoping that I can keep my grades up while still experiencing and enjoying my time abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment